Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 3: A day of good omens

So today started out alright enough. Wasn't feelin' too shitty when I woke up this morning. It took a little bit longer than usual for me to get out the door, but I made it happen anyways. I cranked DMX, laced up the shoes, and let it rip. I planned on 7, but like I said yesterday, I played some mind games with myself and made it into a 9 miler. The first good omen of the day happened at around 6 miles into my morning run. Now anyone on my team that has run saratoga in the fall or has discussed this topic while doing pick ups on cinders, believes that catching a falling leaf from a tree is a form of good luck. Guys will randomly catch a leaf early in a race and hold onto the thing for the whole 5 mile race. So when running down the cinder trail to the wild flower preserve, I was surprised to see a falling leaf just ahead of me. Being summer and all I didn't expect to catch a leaf, but it made me feel a little bit more lucky and lifted my spirits a bit.

The next good omen came while finishing up the evening run. I set out to hit just whatever I could handle. To my surprise I felt pretty good as I headed out the door towards campus. I did a nice 10 miler with buttermilk loops and am lovin' the new shoes. I basically just wanted to be done with the whole thing so I could eat dinner and start drinking again. WIth a mile to go I was not too happy to still be running, but then all of a sudden I started to hear music. At first I thought I was going crazy, but the music started to get louder and clearer. I realized it was coming from the baseball field and the song was none other than Tessie by the Dropkick Murphys. This song for those unfamiliar, is all about Boston and the Red Sox. I started singing along with it and getting really amped. This was the second good omen for me and helped me get through the last mile easily.

Finally, I was super amped to find a 30 of PBR at the back of Rogans. I was honestly pretty nervous as I walked to the back that I would be forced to yet again drink the creature that is Milwaukee Best Ice. I honestly really love PBR so I'm feeling the drinking will be a little easier this time around. Maybe too easy.

When I originally set to planning the mileage that I would be doing I thought that at about this stage of the game I would be hurting. I figured that my legs would be pretty shot and that I would require at least two ice baths a day. Yet here I am, 60 miles in 3 days and to my surprise I feel good. My stride is still fluid and powerful and I'm having no problem convincing myself to get the mileage in. Either I'm in much better shape than I thought I was or my body has simply realized the enormity of the task and is just allowing me to complete this thing only to destroy me later in the week. Either way this is all seeming pretty doable. I think it's in the bag, but I won't get too cocky just yet.

The numbers thus far are as followed:
9 miles in the AM and 10 miles in the PM
2 beers in the AM and 3 so far in the PM

Overall 60 miles and 34 beers in 3 days and counting.

Now I've got some beers to drink so I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes by my buddy Tyler:
"I feel sober....too sober"

No comments:

Post a Comment