Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 6: Diggin' Deep

Today has been all in all the toughest day so far. I only got like 4 hours of sleep last night and the workout left my legs pretty sore so I knew going into my run that it would likely be a rough one. It was. I hadn't hadn't eaten anything since the Texas Toast that I had at 2:30 AM so I was pretty much running on empty and I chose to run it in the heat of the day. As soon as I was on cinders all I could think about was how badly I wanted to be finished. But I just kept telling myself to get to a certain point and then give myself another small goal to accomplish that way making the run more bearable. I just flat out did not want to be running. At around 7 miles I started thinking about how nice it'll be to finish and was hurting pretty badly at that point. For some reason I started thinking about these apples I have in my fridge. I don't even like apples, I don't think I'd rank them in my top 20 favorite fruits, but for some reason this apple was just the best god damn thing I could think of right then. I wanted that fucking apple so bad and I was gonna get that apple. I used it to push myself for 3 more miles to hit 10 miles for the day leaving me with only 6 more miles until 100.

I've discovered that weird shit like that happens a lot while doing this. There's just no way to really function properly. Two days ago I walked into a women's bathroom without even noticing, I almost ran into a parked truck yesterday, and tonight for dinner I ate toast with pasta sauce on it(what the fuck was that shit). I'll probably eat a more substantial dinner soon, but sometimes you just have to let your body do whatever the fuck it wants even if it means obsessing over apples. I sort of noticed the toll of running 70 miles in 4 days yesterday when I was finishing my cool down from the tempo. Palma, Nubbins, and Nancy were talking in the driveway when I rolled in finishing me run. Palma looked at me and said, "You look soooo tired right now" and I am. I'd like to say that I can do this thing and shrug it off as not too hard, but I'd be a liar. This really hasn't been too easy. I've had to work pretty hard at it lately, but like I've said time and time again it is the never ending support of my teammates and friends that have helped me. Runner and drinker Dan Potter gets a shout out today for his facebook post as it was big on getting me out the door.

Tomorrow is looming though and I only need 6 miles and 20 beers. The competitive side of me says fuck it and do a night run and get hammered tonight and be the fastest know documented attempt at the 100, 100. http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer
My body says no to that idea though so we'll have to see what happens. It's unfortunately the last night Palma will be in Ithaca. I'm sad to see him go as he is a truly great friend and has helped me a ton in this experience. Anyways, I've got some beers to drink. Curt said it well in his recent text "You can smell it! And it smells GOOOOD!" I'm right there. Just a few more pushes to the finish.

Day totals:
10 miles and 4 beers
Cocaine Blues by Johnny Cash, I think I'll just stay here and drink by Merle Haggard, and Memories by David Guetta

Week Totals:
94 miles, 81 beers.

My life is this.

1 comment: