Friday, July 23, 2010

How it all began

My decision to attempt the 100, 100 week has been something that I have thought about trying since I first heard about it from the one and only lanky Tim(Noooooo Timmmm). At first glance this feat was something that I felt sure would be far out of my league and realm of talent in both running and drinking. I was sure that there was a) no easy way for me to run 100 miles in a week as the last time I had done it it had left me gassed for about a week and a half and b) that I could drink 100 beers in a month let alone a week.

However, as the years passed by, the mileage climbed from 50 a week steadily until I was running consistent 80 mile weeks as a junior. The drinking progressed as well and I went from that freshman throwing up in the sophomore's suite(you guys will never let me live that one down, it's fine I've come to grips with that) to the upperclassman that prides himself on drinking Hurricane High Gravities like it's water. Now in the summer before my final year as a collegiate athlete I have decided to take upon myself the task of 100 beers, 100 miles to prove to myself that I can push my limits farther than I think. Some might find this task immature or irresponsible. To each their own, I am not asking or expecting the world to view this task as noble, but to me it is. To my knowledge no one on my team has ever tried or completed this task so I do look at it as relatively bold. To me this is more than simply running and drinking, it is pushing myself and my spirit harder than I ever have. Ultimately, I believe this undertaking will make me a better person and a better runner. Because fuck, no workout can be as hard as running 14 miles a day while being in a constant hangover and no life challenge could get me as down as the last few days probably will be.

So this is the plan. Front load the mileage, back load the beer. Everything I've read on doing this has said it is best to run a fuck ton early that way you don't have a daunting amount of mileage to run later. The tentative plan is to be around 50-60 miles through 3 days. This will be difficult especially considering that the first day I start(monday) I will do my first run at around 3AM in Massachusetts before a long drive back home to make it to work on time. Nonetheless I am confident in my ability to run that mileage as well as my ability to take Saturday and Sunday(the days I have absolutely no work or responsibilities) to get absolutely obliterated. In my research I have discovered doubters of many that have done this feat where the actual drinking is questioned so to answer these questions I will video tape the beers drank solo(something I'm sure we can enjoy watching later boys) and will be observed by a crew of friends most likely consisting of Tony P, Verloni pepperoni, Coxy, Scull, Corey baby, and whoever else comes by while drinking in public. The rules are simply, run the mileage, drink the beer. For every heave(not just every throw up, every individual heave) subtract one beer. I don't plan on this being an issue though. My gut feeling says the shower will be a clutch addition to the drinking. I will also be keeping a necklace consisting of the beer tabs to keep track.

All this being said, I am two days away from the beginning and to be honest, I could not be more excited.

Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment